Sunday, February 3, 2013

A confession, and an admonition.

I was talking with a friend the other day about our mutual struggle with "being down", or depressed, or discouraged - sometimes just for a day, sometimes for a stretch of days. As we discussed what we think leads us into those times, and how exactly we feel during them, and how we cope with them once we find ourselves there, we were noticing how we've both been duped by several lies.

We tend to believe we are the only ones who have ever felt the way we feel. We have believed that if we were to admit our struggles to a friend, they would either not understand us, they would shrug it off as not that big of a deal, or they would feel that we were once again burdening them with our problems. Though we both agreed that we do not feel that way when our friends admit their struggles to us (unless we're just being total jerks, which is perhaps another post), we still believed they would feel that way about us, because we have also believed the lie that we are more messed up or more "needy" than everyone else, as evidenced by our continual struggle with the same problem, and thus, our very presence with our friends is a burden. So, instead of confessing our struggles, and our sins , we remain silent (I am not calling discouragement/depression/"being down" a sin, but I do know that at some point---and I am not speaking for anyone else, just Me---I do not put my faith in God, but listen to the voice of the enemy/the world/my flesh instead. When this point comes, I am indeed guilty of the sin of unbelief. And, I am becoming more convinced that God is using this discouragement to train me for battle. Will I have faith in Him when I do not feel like it, and cannot see Him? Lord, grow me up! I believe Lord, help my unbelief!).

By remaining silent, we are missing out on SO much, which I'm sure is why the enemy/the world/our flesh resists us opening our mouths.

Psalm 32
3 For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away
   through my groaning all day long.
4 For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
   my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.
                                                                       Selah
5 I acknowledged my sin to you,
   and I did not cover my iniquity;
   I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,"
   and you forgave the iniquity of my sin.
                                                                       Selah

When we keep silent, This is what we're missing out on.

1 John
1:6 If we say we have fellowship with Him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

2:1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin, but if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the Righteous.

When we keep silent, This is what we're missing out on.

James 5:16
Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

When we keep silent, This is what we're missing out on.

2 Corinthians 2
8 We do not want you to be ignorant, brothers, of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. 9 Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. 10 He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and He will deliver us. On Him we have set our hope that He will deliver us again. 11 You also must help us by your prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many.

When we keep silent, This is what we're missing out on.

Psalm 32

6 Therefore, let everyone who is godly
offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found;
surely in the rush of great waters, they shall not reach Him.
7 You are a hiding place for me;
you preserve me from trouble;
You surround me with shouts of deliverance.             Selah

No comments:

Post a Comment