Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Startlingly Accurate Depiction of My Life

"If I'd had a stellar week, I loved being in God's presence and was sure God was pretty stoked about having me there too.

But the opposite was true.

If I hadn't done a good job at being a real Christian, I felt pretty distant from God. If I'd fallen to some temptations, been a jerk to my wife, dodged some easy opportunities to share Christ, was stingy with my money, forgotten to recycle, kicked the dog, etc. ... well, on those weeks I felt like God  wanted nothing to do with me. When I came to church, I had no desire to lift my soul up to God. I was pretty sure  He didn't want to see me either. I could feel His displeasure - His lack of approval.

That's because I didn't really understand the gospel. Or, at least I had forgotten it."

-Quote from J.D. Greear's book Gospel: Recovering the Power that Made Christianity Revolutionary, Chapter 3 "The Gospel as Gift-Righteousness"

No comments:

Post a Comment