Saturday, December 28, 2013

(Still) Growing Up

goenglish.com
Our holiday festivities began last Friday night with a Life Together Group Christmas party. They continued on Sunday with the Adams' family Christmas. We took a short pause on Monday before heading down to the land of the pines on Tuesday morning, where we spent two full days with the Wase's. Then we headed out Thursday morning for Burlington to hang with the extended Cheek fam. With all that family-fun-time, you better believe that Cristina did a good deal of sticking her foot in her mouth. I really thought I'd grown out of it---like, about 25 years ago. Turns out, I'm just more polite around people I don't know as well. Being around those familiar folks, I get a little too comfortable, and revert back to some of my childish ways.

But, you know what? There was a time when this wouldn't even grieve me. There was a time when I would have thrown back a quip and patted myself on the back for being so clever. There was a time when I thought someone needed to earn my respect before I gave it (for some people...that would've taken forever a while...ha just kidding...sorta). There was a time when gossip didn't hurt my heart. There was a time when I couldn't admit I was wrong. There was a time when I didn't know the conviction of the Holy Spirit laying heavy on me until I agreed with God and changed my mind and my way. There was a time when I was dead (see Ephesians 2). What a wretched man that I was! Who could deliver me from that body of death? But, thanks be to God who delivers me through Christ Jesus our Lord! (see Romans 7:24-25).

I am learning to appreciate the process. I once was dead. God made me alive in Christ. And I've been growing up. But I've still got a long way to go. And that's okay. Because He who began a good work in me will complete His work (see Phlippians 1:6). Time to trust, and obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment