Friday, March 27, 2015

Spoiler Alert: I Don't Know The Future

“Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." (Matthew 6:34 MSG)

One of the best things, for me, about being at Campus Life M clubs in the mornings is getting to hear Mark teach about God every week. We go to Southern on Wednesday, and Northern on Thursday, so I actually hear the same teaching two mornings in a row. And it's really good for me. That point that stood out to me Wednesday morning comes back around again Thursday morning, and I have another chance to meditate on what God is saying to me.


This week, Mark was teaching the students about "Who God Is". Pretty lofty subject, but he does a great job of teaching complex things in an uncomplicated way, so that even middle schoolers (and Cristina) can understand. 


So one of the things he shared about God is how God knows everything that has ever happened, everything that is currently happening, and everything that will (or even could happen). 


Both days he asked the students "Would you like to know the future?" Wednesday, I swear, ALL the kids raised their hands! Thursday only one said she definitely would want to know. But, then, he told them he wasn't sure he'd want to know. I mean, if it was going to be a good day, you might want to get up early and get going. But if you knew it was going to be a bad day, you might not even want to get out of bed. And there it was.


The truth of how I've been living. I live most of my days as if I can see the future. And the future I see is not good. So, some days, I really don't want to get out of bed. But, I drag myself out and down to the coffeepot. I sit on the sofa with my Bible open. I take out my journal and pen, but lately, the words don't come. I don't want to read the Bible. I don't want to talk to God. Because, I think -- I'm pretty sure -- the day is going to suck. But, here's the thing.


Mark was telling the kids that ONLY God knows the future. I. don't. know. the. future! I've got to stop living like I do. In defeat. Wouldn't that be freeing? To just live life knowing that my Father does know the future, will be with me, and will empower me for whatever comes? Yeah, probably so...probably this:


“Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment