Monday, January 10, 2011

Lightbulb Moment



We're in the midst of a series at our church on the life of King David called "The Search for a King." The last sermon in the series was from 2 Samuel 7. This is the part where David is sitting with his friend Nathan the prophet, and he's looking at his amazing palace of cedar, and then looking at the tent where the ark of the covenant, and thus God's dwelling place among His people Israel, is, and he says, "Here I am, living in a palace of cedar, while the ark of God remains in a tent." (2 Samuel 7:2b) So, Nathan says, "Whatever you have in mind, go ahead and do it, for the LORD is with you (2 Samuel 7:3)." (basically, go ahead and build that great temple for God)

But, overnight, God comes to Nathan and tells him to tell David:

"This is what the LORD says: Are you the one to build me a house to dwell in? I have not dwelt in a house from the day I brought the Israelites up out of Egypt to this day. I have been moving from place to place with a tent as my dwelling. Wherever I have moved with all the Israelites, did I ever say to any of their rulers whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, 'Why have you not built me a house of cedar?'...The LORD declares to you that the LORD Himself will establish a house for you: When your days are over and you rest with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, who will come from your own body, and I will establish his kingdom..." (2 Samuel 7:5-7, 11b-12)

Did you see that? God just told David 'No, wait David. You aren't gonna build a house for me. No, I am gonna build a house for you.' He just one-up-ed David. Since the beginning, God has been the one freely building Israel, and freely building David, and things are not gonna change now. David, and Israel, and you and me---we owe God everything---life and breath and everything (Acts 17)---BUT we owe God nothing. I mean, we cannot pay God back. "He who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also, with Him, freely give us all things (Romans 8:32)?"

God has been teaching me this---well, probably forever---but I've especially noticed Him teaching me this recently. Over and over. That's usually how I know He's trying to get my attention on something---it comes up everywhere. Church. Small group Bible study last night. Reading Faith in Future Grace (John Piper) this morning. I read the first chapter of the book titled "The Debtor's Ethic: Should We Try To Pay God Back?" The answer: No. In fact, just the opposite. Instead of 'returning the favor', we simply trust God more. Trust Him for the future. Trust Him to provide for us again, the way He already has, over and over and over.

After reading, I got the song "Trust & Obey" in my head. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I've never liked this song. Until now. To me, it's always reminded me of my lack of obedience to God. The refrain just seemed to be mocking me. 'You know, there's no other way to be happy in Jesus if you aren't obeying!' But somehow, I was missing the first part. Trust. Suddenly, it clicked. This is freeing! Because trust leads me to obedience. Not guilt. Not a sense of debt. Not a comparison to other people. Trust. Once I trust, obedience is not a burden. And, it is absolutely true---"there is no other way to be happy in Jesus than to trust and obey."

No comments:

Post a Comment