Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Back to School: Lesson 1

All the K-12 kiddos head back to school this week. The moment they've all been waiting for---some dreading, some eagerly anticipating. All the school supplies, in their varying colors, have been purchased. Bookbags have been unearthed from that pile in the bedroom that no one has touched since school let out in June. Heck, I even broke down and bought my own school supplies today. I bought a new journal (fine, it was a spiral notebook that I intend to use as a journal), and a new bookbag (that I need to lug around my 100-pound laptop). I just couldn't resist those school supply aisles in Walmart any longer. And, I think, for a minute, I just wanted the familiarity of buying school supplies in August---gearing up for the new school year. Last August was my first August, since I could remember August's, that I didn't start a new school year. I think that transition left me reeling for the past year. But, then, February 28th brought a new sort of August to look forward to...an August as a wife. So, here we are, in my first August as a wife...another transition. Life just keeps bringing them, huh? And, I've gotta say...scariest transition yet. Why? Well, among other things---like not knowing what kind of vacuum cleaner I should buy, or how to cook anything in a crock pot, or how to sew up the hole in our brand new pillowcase---I have no clue where this transition is going to take us. I have always had an end in sight. The end of the week, the end of a school year, the end of the summer, the end of STINT, the end of wedding planning. This one is WIDE OPEN. It feels like a free fall. So, here's the pop quiz...

When faced with the incredibly unknown, will you:
A. Be a pansy (as Case would so lovingly refer to you) and run away from things you can't predict or understand or control because of fear?

OR

B. Trust the Sovereign Creator & Lord of the Universe who gave Himself up in love for you, and who can write a much better story than you ever will?

God keeps teaching me this same lesson over and over, so that one day I'm gonna know the answer without prompting. The answer is B. TRUST

4 comments:

  1. just wait til......well it's wide open :)

    happy trusting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust God is the right answer, amen! Until you learn to sow, buy duct tape.

    ReplyDelete