Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Growing Up



Some things we've been learning in 2010:

1. We are learning what a budget is. (my props to Casey who has been learning this longer than I have. He started when he wanted to save for a ring to marry me, and has been faithfully budgeting ever since, and leading me in that. good job Babe!)
2. We are learning that you have to take out the trash Monday night because even though you THINK you'll do it before the trash pickup men get here Tuesday morning, you are wrong. And that trash stinks.
3. I'm learning that even though it's "Casey's job" to take out the trash, I can still serve him by taking it out for him when he's running late for work.
4. I am learning how to grocery shop. Seriously, Harris Teeter and I have a relationship now. It's literally across the street, they have great deals after coupons, and I now know exactly where each product is in the grocery store via the map in my head.
5. I am slowly, slowly, learning how to grocery shop with coupons. Jenny, the author of the blog Southern Savers, is one of my heroes.
6. I am learning how to grocery shop with coupons when you live with a boy who eats everything in sight.
7. I am learning when to let go of little things. Like how much Casey eats. Or the fact that we don't have the same idea of where his glasses should go when he's not using them. (Me: But I have that pretty little dish on the counter JUST for the glasses?!)
8. I am learning how to keep a house clean (if you have come to my house recently and you would like to dispute this claim, I would remind you...I am still learning). My friend Leah used to tell me how her mom would say if you just clean for 15 minutes at the end of the day it will help things not pile up. Good word Mama Horton.
9. We are learning (again) that new relationships take time, and effort, to build. We were really happy to become members of our church, The Summit (North Raleigh Campus), a month or two ago. We help with the kids' ministry on Sunday mornings, we've been going to a small group on Sunday nights, but it's still taking time. We're still not at that point where there are people there who know us inside and out and vice versa, but we will persist!
10. This is not a cheesy end summary lesson we're learning, but by far the biggest lesson we've learned this year. At least, the biggest one I've learned. And it will be an understatement, but we've really learned to TRUST God to take care of us ("Fear not little flock, it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the Kingdom." Luke 12:32). We started out this year engaged and hopeful, but without a clue of how many things would work out. Where would we live? Where would I work? Where would we find furniture we could afford? How would we afford a honeymoon? How were we going to pay the bills? etc, etc, etc. But, oh how God has provided! Exceedingly, abundantly more than we could ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20). "And God, who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also, with Him, freely give us all things?" (Romans 8:32)

1 comment:

  1. I am smiling from ear to ear.

    We love you! (I think I will say that in every comment, so if you're squeamish about it, get over it!:)

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete